All recipes were designed by Paula Mendez Carreras during an ATP gastronomic tour of Argentina.
Basic recipe for empanada shells
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 200g butter - melted
- 750g plain flour
- Beat the egg, milk, salt and suagr in a bowl until smooth.
- Gradually add the flour and melted butter.
- Once the mixture has an even consitancy cover with a cloth and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- When really to use, divide the mixture into 12 and cut into circles.
- After placing a filling on half of the circle, leaving a 1" border around the edge of the pastry, fold over the top and roll the edges together. Use a beaten egg to bind the sides to together and to brush the top with to give a golden shine.
- Bake at 180° for 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown.
- 1kg roast beef
- 300g spring onions
- 400g peeled tomatoes
- 50g green chilli peeper - chopped
- 400g onions - chopped
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 pinch freshly ground pepper
- Cumin powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil
- 12 empanada shells
- Boil the beef for 2 hours at a low temperature until very tender and then shred or cut into cubes.
- Cook all of the onions in a little oil, and then half of the spring onions.
- Season well and add the meat. If it looks a little dry add some of the broth as well.
- Add the chilli, tomatoes, the rest of the spring onions and cook down for a few minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Store in the fridge for 12 hours.
- Finely chop the eggs and add to the mixture. Divide the mixture between the empanada shells and enjoy.
Empanadas de Humita
- 400g frozen corn
- 50ml milk
- 1 onion
- 100g spring onions
- 100g tomatoes
- 80g boiled pumpkin
- 70g skined roasted peppers
- 40g parmesan - grated
- 1 pinch of chilli powder
- 1 pinch of sugar
- Oregano, bay leaves and thyme to taste
- Put the milk and corn in a food processor and pulse until a consistant texture is achieved.
- Chop the onions and spring onions, peppers and peel and chop the tomatoes.
- Mash the boiled pumkin.
- Cook the onion in a little oil and as many herbs as you like.
- Add the corn mixture, season and cook for a few minutes.
- Add half the spring onions, the pumpkin and the tomatoes.
- Remove from the heat and add the grated cheese and the rest of the spring onions.
- Season with basil and salt and pepper and divide between 12 empanada shells.
Dulce de Leche Roulade
- 4 egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 300ml double cream - whipped
- 300g dulce de leche
- Beat the egg whites until soft whip and then gradually add the sugar until stiff and shiny.
- Spread out on a well greased baking sheet and bake to an hour at 150°C.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool slightly, but ensure the meringue is still soft.
- Spread the dulce de leche and cream over the meringue and gently roll up using a tea towel and cling film to help.