We are very proud to have been appointed as the specialist tour operator to run Oxford and Cambridge University’s scholar-led group tours in Latin America. Open to all alumni of either university, or those with a close connection, each of these small group trips has a theme that reflects the knowledge and expertise of the chosen trip scholar.
The following trips are available (colour trip leaflet with prices, availability, and conditions available on request: firstname.lastname@example.org):
Mexico: Total solar eclipse, 2-15 April 2024
Experience a total solar eclipse, tour Mexico’s colonial heartlands, and visit Puebla’s observatories in the company of Professor Roger Davies, who has led alumni astronomy tours in the US, Chile and Argentina.
See www.lastfrontiers.com/itineraries/mexico-2024-total-solar-eclipse - full (waitlist only)
Peru: Mysteries of the Nasca, 30 April-11 May 2024
Learn about the fascinating Nasca people, inhabitants of the desert coastline of southern Peru until around 750AD, from the UK's leading scholar on their culture and traditions, Dr David Beresford-Jones.
See www.lastfrontiers.com/itineraries/peru-mysteries-of-the-nasca - bookings open
Antarctica: In search of emperor penguins, 18 November-1 December 2024
A rare chance to go beyond the Antarctic Peninsula and venture further south, using helicopters to try and reach an emperor penguin rookery on Snow Hill Island. This tour is accompanied by wildlife expert and professional photographer James Lowen.
See www.lastfrontiers.com/itineraries/antarctica-2024-in-search-of-emperor-penguins - bookings open
Argentina Astronomy, November 2022
- “Thank you for organising such a wonderful trip. Absolutely 1st class from start to finish.”
- “Overall a very well balanced enjoyable and fun trip. I thought the balance of night sky and wineries was brilliant. Roger Davies was an excellent scholar and travelling companion. Such infectious enthusiasm.”
Peru, May 2022
"Wildlife of Peru", led by Professor Nick Davies
- “The itinerary was just brilliant - with the mix of seabirds and sea lions, Inca and colonial history, spectacular Andean mountains and cloud forest and those magical five days in Tambopata. We seem to have packed in several months-worth of excitement into our twelve-day trip.”
“Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the most amazing experience anyone could have. It couldn’t have been better or more wonderful - I feel like we saw everything!”
“The Peru trip with Nick Davies was well worth waiting for. It was extremely enjoyable and an unforgettable experience. Thanks to everyone, especially Sue, for making it such an enjoyable and memorable trip.”
Chile, June-July 2019
“Total Solar Eclipse”, led by Professor Roger Davies
- “A really memorable 3 weeks with highlights coming at us thick and fast”
- “Thanks everyone - it was a lot of fun”
- “the tour was very well organised, the drivers and guides were brilliant, especially the driver on negotiating those narrow streets in Vicuna! And what can I say about Torres del Paine - the hotel was excellent, the food superb, and the scenery was breath-taking!”
Colombia, November 2018
“Diversity and Civilisation”, led by Dr Alexander Herrera
- “Thank you for a superb trip and exceptional organisation!”
- “Alex Herrera was a fount of knowledge, archaeological, historical, political and cultural, and extremely helpful to everyone.”
- “The trip was well conceived, and executed by Lizzie and Alex with aplomb.”
Peru, April 2018
“Inhabiting the Andes”, led by Dr Nicholas James.
- “We had a brilliant trip - enjoyed it immensely. Nicholas was great - funny, engaging and very knowledgeable.”
- “A wonderful introduction to South America.”